Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

SP Wednesday

I always feel like I'm a day behind over here on the left coast. While you to my right have been up for hours; have posted your SP's and moved on to the rest of your day.

My lovely friend Jen came to visit yesterday. She is current, young, hip and beautiful - a photographer, an artist, a seeker and traveller. She is going to take me to the cool places in Portland in September. I've been out here in the boonies so long that I've lost all touch. Her photography and the photography I see on the blogs of my friends have fired me up to take more photos. More on that later in the post.

This is the painting on the cabinet door that I made in class Saturday. It is painted over a photograph of my mother taken when she was 16 years old. The door measures 14x28". I have a dream of doing hundreds of these for any who want them to honor their relatives. It brings the departed closer; like a little shrine to the love that brought you here.

Shot this photo yesterday to prove the impossible. 107 degrees. Good practice for Arizona, where I'll be one week from today.

An off the wall journal page. I'm dreaming of making Sculpey marionettes next. This was inspired by the painting on my favorite coffee cup.

Another shot taken through my Argus seventy-five twin reflex camera. The flower in the foreground is the enormous Matalija Poppy.

Another journal page ready for writing and more stuff glued in. I made these while Katie was here.

Casting a long shadow yesterday afternoon down the street where I live. Today it's supposed to be cooler; only 101 degrees. ha ha. Okay, I'm delirious. Cheers.

11 comments:

Janine said...

Oh Judy love your work! I am in the Seattle area and we thought 103 temp was bad enough! Stay cool!

Candace said...

Dear Judy, you are cool already but those temps sound like what we had recently here in the too too sunny South...
What wonderful photos. I am studying my own camera diligently so I can improve skills and graduate to another "big girl" camera. LOL.
Take good good care x
Candace in Athens.

And so it goes... said...

Love your self portraits! And the clown...great idea to make Sculpy marionettes! You do know how to squeeze every ounce of fun out of life! Stay cool...
deb/debbie/debra

Sheila said...

Am diggin' the journal pages and your favorite coffee mug so represented. :)

The weather here in No. Central CA in the foothills surrounding Yosemite has been unbearable for what must be the third week now (constantly triple digits) but they tell me relief is on the horizon come the start of next month/week - 'down' into the 90's. I'm soooooo eagerly waiting! As a born and bred midwesterner I never, EVER thought I'd be thrilled to be anticipating temps in the 90's!

Chris said...

Oh, don't you love these artful dreams? I think your door paintings are fabulous. This one...and the big one I saw long ago, you just painted and painted until it was whole and big and red and green and pastoral and vibrant, and...

how long can a comment be?

anyway, I love that dream of door paintings for loved ones. What a great gift. I also love your dream of clay marionettes.

My friend in Maple Valley, WA is just scorching, and I just got back from Sedona, which was in monsoon season, and here in the l.a. area, it's cooling off! I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Except that you and your blog are a touchstone.

Ro Bruhn said...

Ah, you're getting our type of summer weather, the temperature reached 114deg F on the day of our bush fires. I certainly hope for your sake you don't have that happen. Seems like global warming is living up to it's name.
Love your photos and the frames and your journal page is 'cool', can't wait to see the marionettes.

Scintilla said...

I love these images! I guess you made the tunnel huh? Oh thanks for your kind words about me. You yourself are not nicknamed "Judy the wise" for nothing. I just love sharing time with you...thanks for an amazing day....love!

Deb's Artful Journey said...

I guess SF is the only place that is 10 degrees colder than normal. We have been fogged in everyday for over a week - and its not been clearing! No summer weather here altho over 100 is too hot!

I am loving your journal pages! And photography - cool camera. Happy summer!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

What wonderful images and an amazing perspective - great creativity! Very inspiring.

Poetic Artist said...

Love this post. I love the piece of your mom on the door..
I would love to learn that secret. Is it a secret? LOL
Katelen

Buffalo Nickel said...

So you are using real film? Who develops it for you? Love the twin reflex photos...